Below is a travel itinerary for Thailand (Bangkok and a few islands) in 9 days. This is what we did in December 2011. I will also share some tips with you at the end.
Arrive at Suvarnabhumi Airport. You may take a the train or cab to the city based on the location of your hotel. We chose to rest all day and head out in the evening. There are a lot of things to do in Bangkok in the night and you can choose what suits your holiday the best.
Breakfast at hotel and check out. Head to Suvarnabhumi Airport and fly to Krabi. Take cab from the airport to the ferry terminal and head to Phi Phi. Check in at hotel. There are a lot of things to do in Phi Phi in the night and you can choose what suits your holiday the best.
Breafast at hotel. Leave hotel by 2.00 pm and take the boat to Maya Bay. Snorkel at 1-2 spots before reaching Maya Bay. Overnight at Maya Bay.
Breakfast at Maya Bay. Depart from Maya Bay at 10.00 am. Snorkel at 1 spot before reaching Phi Phi. Relax in Phi Phi the rest of the day.
Breakfast at the hotel. We used this day to scuba dive and then check-out. Take a ferry to Aonang. Check into hotel. In the evening walk around Aonang beach. You have some places to shop, eat and party.
Breakfast at hotel. There are many daytrips in Krabi. We chose to go island hopping. The day trip usually lasts 8 hours. You have the evening to relax.
Breakfast at hotel. There are many daytrips in Krabi. We chose to go on an elephant safari and visit the Emerald Pool. The day trip usually lasts 8 hours. You have the evening to relax.
Breakfast at the hotel. We took a day’s break to relax at the hotel. We lazed by the pool. In the evening we walked by the beach and went for a massage and me for a manicure. We needed a break before he headed to Singapore. Else, you can check out on day 8.
Breakfast at the hotel. Check out and head to Singapore.
1. Phi Phi has a wide range of hotels. Choose your hotel based on the type of activity you are looking for. For instance, we wanted some quiet and chose Mama Residence. To be in the midst of the night life you will have to look at hotels located in the centre of the island.
2. Phi Phi can also be visited from Phuket or Krabi as a day trip.
3. It is advisable to pre-book your camping day at Maya Bay especially during peak season.
4. A day trip from Phi Phi can also be planned to Maya Bay. If you do this try to leave early so that you get a quieter beach.
5. Rock climbing is also a popular activity in Phi Phi.
6. For the first dive you need not know swimming! You are shown a video, asked to sign some papers and then trained. We did this over 2 days. The video was about 20-30 minutes and the paper signing takes you another 10 minutes. We were taught most of the basic skills when on the boat. We did 2 dives up to 12 metres.
7. Plan your scuba diving session at good 48 hours before you board your flight.
8. Krabi is a more crowded place and you could reduce your stay by a day. After Phi Phi, Krabi was a let-down. I would suggest you pick out day trips and make your stay in Krabi worth your while. The other option is to stay at a 5-star resort and not get out much.
If you need any other advice just ask me.